Monday, November 05, 2007

First Day of School

Mike and I were clearly more nervous than Jake for his first day of preschool today. We were both a little stressed last night. We wanted everything to be perfect!

On arrival, he insisted on holding his plastic box of extra clothing himself, and once he started talking to two teachers, he didn't even look back to say good-bye to Daddy. He was too busy telling Amee and Bonny that his slippers were in the box, that he wanted to put the box in his cubby himself, stay for snack and go play in the playground. All at once.

Mike called me to tell me that all went well with Jake's first drop-off and I, of course, 28 weeks full of hormones, burst into tears. My little boy, so ready for school! I hope the next week is as positive. My friend Melissa came by this morning and said that her son had a great time in the first week and started complaining the week after, before adjusting the week after that.

In any case, I will say this: the house is EXTREMELY quiet!!

Follow-up from 1pm:

Apparently the rest of the morning went fabulously well. Mike got to observe behind the one way mirror for about 10 minutes around 10 am and Jake was playing/working very intently on cutting and some other activities by himself and just asking for help from time to time. Mike said it was like he had been in that classroom for months.

They said he was “very atypical” and all agreed he could go for the full 3 hours tomorrow. He announced to Mike that he wanted to go back and play in the playground!

He did come home VERY tired and kept saying he was. I put him down for nap early and he seemed grateful. I think he was more nervous than he had let on!

No comments:

Post a Comment