
Abby was exhuberant at being reminded this morning that it was her first day of school. She ran around in circles before getting dressed. She posed nicely for some first day pix on the stoop. And she was such a pro. I walked her to the playground, she climbed on a tricycle, and said hi to her teacher. I explained I was leaving and Daddy would pick her up in a bit, and she waved goodbye to me and proceeded to observe everyone else, as I left quietly, eyes welling up, to go back to my empty car. I took Jake out for the morning, a special treat as he doesn't start school for another few days, and tried not to worry about her.
Mike picked her up 2 1/2 hours later and apparently she was overjoyed to tell him how much she liked school. She also said "Me cried," apparently on going into the classroom and realizing I was not there. She said she used the potty, and told us which teacher helped her do so. Jake quizzed her all during dinner about the works she did today (he visited her classroom for about 10 minutes yesterday during her "ice cream social" and surveyed the scene quite thoroughly) and she told him more about what she did than she told us - he interviewed her very well. I loved listening to their banter over the dinner table - Which work did you do, Abby? Me did the porcupine, Jake. Did you put all the straws back afterwards? yes. Did you do the apple work too? yes. Did you fill up all the holes with the apples? no, just some. Did you do the work with the little spoon and the red balls? yes! She answered very thoughtfully and sincerely and they were totally engaged with each other. Mike and I glanced at each other in awe -new phase!! The most amazing thing about it was that he really cared to know what she did, and she really wanted to tell him. I loved it - a great closing to a wonderful day.
No comments:
Post a Comment