Thursday, August 14, 2008

Gearing Up For Work

Just a note that summer is slipping away and it's becoming sadly clear that my nice long maternity leave is about to actually end. I've really enjoyed it this time!! My syllabus and readings for Duke were due this week, and I've begun work on a new project at Duke that has, gasp, real deadlines and milestones. We've put together a job description for a research associate and will be hiring one soon. The Columbia teaching will start in January.

People are inviting me to conferences, to do other contract work, and I have to admit to them that I am, in fact, working again. Ack! Though in fact, I will be doing to part-time dance I've been doing for well, um, about 7 years now, wow. Working 2 days a week and taking care of the kids 3 days a week. Though it will be a much tighter division of time now, made possible by a new babysitter who starts next week. The good news is that I will get to travel again - weekly to Duke and to other locales from time to time, and I really do love that. Someone invited me to speak at an event outside of Portsmouth, NH in December and I noticed today that the incredible hotel they're putting us up in has a day spa. I think I need to reserve my massage now!!! (and yes, I WILL be scheduling my flights around the spa's hours.)

So here's to working. The satisfaction and identity that comes from doing what you love is good for me, and ultimately, good for my family. Not to mention that income! And just as important, here's to great hotel spas (and great babysitters!)!!

1 comment:

  1. The world of social enterprise will be lucky to have you back at work again :) But you're lucky to be able to spend so much time with the kids too. What a perfect fit! Abby and Jake are getting cuter by the minute.

    ReplyDelete