Thursday, August 28, 2008

The Sweetest Gift

I was putting Jake down for a nap the other day, which I don't do that often any more, and he asked for something very cute. He wanted me to sing the "Happy Present" song. It took me a few minutes, and then I realized he wanted me to sing a song I used to sing for him when he was 2, and old folksong, redone by nearly everyone but written by Dolly Parton, called "the Sweetest Gift."

The refrain:
She did not bring to him a parole or pardon.
She brought no silver, no pomp or style.
It was a halo, sent down from heaven's light
The sweetest gift - a mother's smile.

I sang him the song, gave him the smile and got blown a kiss goodnight by my lovely boy. The sweetest gift, indeed.


Here's a version of the song, by the Judd sisters, I found just now. It does make a sweet lullaby.

No comments:

Post a Comment