Sunday, August 31, 2008

A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall: Obama, Palin and Gustav

I know it's dangerous to introduce politics to my sweet, family-oriented blog, but I cannot resist. My nightly TV snack has changed from the calm smug observation of superperforming Olympic athletes to a literal maelstrom of democratic convention speeches, pix of friends and crowds at the convention being thrust into my facebook account, the absolute high I had while listening to Obama's acceptance speech (I was in tears, literally, through most of the last half), and then the shock and awe at McCain's choice of running mate. And now, we have New Orleans being evacuated and the RNC looking like it's going to be mostly canceled.

The fireworks on top of the Invesco stadium underscored the new reality - this is a show, just as much as the Olympics was, and suddenly it has gotten really interesting. The new VEEP candidate is, let's be honest, amazing eye-candy and the addition of national disaster into the branding each side is trying to do about putting Americans first - well, it's heady stuff. For someone who has been ignoring politics and news for quite some time now, it's piqued my interest again and I imagine that must be the case for others as well. If all this helps a few more people to pay attention and make a more informed choice, so much the better. (Though my heart goes out to all those people in New Orleans and surrounding areas.)

And now I urge you to read my favorite post of the last few days, from Maureen Dowd: Vice in Go Go Boots.

Last, I will share one personal, heartfelt, and VERY politically incorrect sentiment, especially for someone as liberal and feminist-minded as me. This lady had a baby 2 months after I did, and a special needs baby at that. I find the idea that she is running for VP under these circumstances appalling. If she is successful, she will likely not see this child much over the next 4 years. I know, her husband can watch the child, and she has extended family behind her, etc. But seriously, folks, there are some things even superhuman achievers cannot do at the same time. And learning to serve as a potential president of the US given her background, AND nursing and breastpumping every few hours, AND looking after the needs of a child with Down's Syndrome, AND moving your entire extended family to DC are just several here that seem mighty incompatible to me.

I simply cannot see why American women are supposed to admire her for this decision. The decision to keep the baby, ok, OR the decision to run for Veep. But not both.

Luckily for her, she doesn't seem to know what she's gotten herself into (watch this clip from minute 2:30 to the end), from a few weeks ago, where she asks, What does the Veep do every day, anyway? and says she'll only take the job if it's good for Alaska. That's putting Country First?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment