Friday, March 06, 2009

He's Gone

Mike left yesterday to NC on his first vacation alone in, well, about 5 years, maybe? It's surprising to say it, since I leave every week, but it's the first time I've been alone with both kids for more than a few hours. And last night was the first time I've ever put both to bed!

Jake, Abby and I have been enjoying being by ourselves a lot. Last night I had pre-prepared their favorite dinner (pasta wheels with ground turkey) and unveiled a special new kind of ice cream (fudge swirl) that even Abby seemed to like. That was followed by a very calm evening and today is much of the same. We all went to drop Jake off at school, which threw Abby's morning nap off, but she's sleeping early now. We've had a few rough edges, mostly when there's some part of Jake's routine I don't know about and he gets a bit weepy before telling me, but for the most part, all is well.

Honestly, I love how quiet the house is, too.

We have some social engagements for this afternoon and tomorrow and we're all looking forward to them. Mike is visiting his friend Ken and staying in my fancy hotel in Durham. I spoke to him last night after his quiet 4 hour drive and nice dinner and he sounded SO HAPPY! He deserves it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment